Lockwood School District # 26
||Special Education Paraprofessional
|SUPERVISES (if applicaable):
|JOB DEFINITION OR GOAL:
||Assist in conducting intensified learning experiences for special education students in assigned areas of study. To perform a variety of clerical and supportive tasks for instructional personnel and to perform related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILIIES:
- Assists instructional personnel with development of a variety of instructional materials.
- Under the supervision of a general or special education teacher, provides direct instruction of modified curriculum for special education students.
- Assists students as needed in learning self-care techniques including toilet training, bathing and personal cleanliness.
- Assists in presentation of learning materials and instructional exercises in compliance with the student's IEP.
- Tutors students individually or in small groups to reinforce and follow up learning activities.
- Monitors and assists students through drills, practice and study activities following presentation of instructional concepts by instructional personnel.
- Assists in supervision of special education students in the classroom, on the playground and in bus duty as assigned.
- Listens to students reading, reads to students, explains words and meanings, rephrases materials and provides similar learning examples.
- Assists students in their personal hygiene.
- Assists in management and shaping of student behavior through use of positive reinforcement strategies.
- Assists in maintaining a variety of reports and records.
- Performs general clerical duties for instructional personnel.
- Assists when necessary in diapering, toilet training, feeding and other self help skills.
- Assists in maintaining student discipline.
- Assists in scoring tests; computes and records test scores.
- Assists in maintaining neat, orderly and attractive learning environment, including designing and displaying bulletin boards.
Only minimum duties are listed. Other functions may be
required as given or assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Completion of associates or higher degree or successful completion of formal state assessment.
- Knowledge of:
- First aid and CPR.
- General concepts of child growth and development and child behavior characteristics.
- Sign language (in some instances).
- Instructional and behavioral strategies used in controlling and motivating students.
- Ability to complete training in and exercise Child Protective Interventions (CPI) as needed for the safety of a child.
- Specific subject and content as required in job assignment.
- A variety of approaches for specific lessons and independent follow-up work.
- Behavior modification techniques with or without the presence of the teacher.
- Technology, multimedia and software applications desirable.
- IEP goals and objectives and general knowledge of purposes and goals of the district special education programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit, reach with hands and arms, twist at neck, kneel, and bend at waist.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works inside but may be assigned to outside activities. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
The employee must be able to work under stressful conditions and adjust to a fast paced environment with sudden unexpected situations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee must work well under pressure to meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines. The employee shall, at all times, demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and supervisors.